Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Weightlifting

I never thought that I would be the one to be lifting weights in the gym. What is a gym anyway? I never, ever been to a gym “officially.” Officially, meaning being there for an actual workout, not machine hopping the whole time I am there.
If I was choose my workout of choice (back in the day), it would have been cardio, and lots and lots of it! But…I never really stuck to that either.
Then there was that no eating phase…got tired and hungry. Then there was eat and get rid of phase…will not even talk about that one, since it didn’t last very long. I learned very interesting terminology during this time. (ana/mia, thinspiration…how clever!)
College came and there was the biggest number I have ever seen on a scale.
Summer break after freshman year, I went to the gym almost every day. I followed my boyfriend around (I love you! I will call him J!) and he coached me at the gym. Thank god, because I don’t even know what I would do. We did the standard dumbell bench, bicep curls, and machine workouts, mostly isolation exercises, meaning concentrating on one muscle or muscle group at a time.
I learned about sets and reps and felt pain in places I didn’t even know it existed.
In sophomore year, I started a weightlifting program that consisted of 3 main exercises; squat, bench and deadlift. There were accessory lifts as well, such as power cleans, pendlay rows, dips and etc. It is a program called “Starting Strength” by Mark Rippetoe. (I will go into further details in the later posts!). As the name suggests, it is a program for new weightlifters. It worked out for me really well! My lifts increased by a lot by doing this program. I also learned to count by 45s…if you know what I mean.
image
haha.
After Starting Strength, I moved on to Madcow’s 5x5. This program also focuses on the three main lifts, along with military press and the barbell row. I hit my highest PR (Personal Record) on this program and I loved it!
When I thought things couldn’t get any better, I ran into some problems as well. I injured by back while pushing myself too far on a deadlift with improper warm-up, which set me back about 2 months. I could have improved sooo much during this time! 
Right now, I am still recovering from a shoulder injury from September, 2010. I still need to go see a doctor about it instead of self-diagnosing. I will make sure I put it on my to-do list…even though it was my # 1 for a long time…Having a semi-functional shoulder really limits what I can do at the gym! I could not squat for a long time. I can squat now, but still far away from my PR, since my shoulder ends up hurting with too much weight and it really makes me sad. I still cant bench properly yet and I only recently attempted the military press, and only the bar…45lbs…gah.
I am working on rehabilitation, slowly strengthening my shoulder and focusing more on other things, like Muay Thai! I also have a long way to go to improve myself on this but I have a whole life ahead of me and I am hopeful! I am also blessed to have J by my side, who is my guide (in the gym especially), best friend, and boyfriend anyone could ever ask for.
Love,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment